The term retouching means retouching, “Retouching” can be classified under the following specific areas: Portrait retouching, editorial, commercial, beauty and creative.
Each of these areas has its own set of considerations for what “correction” is when editing the image in question. In other words, the decisions and actions taken when editing in the “Portrait” area will be different from the decisions and actions taken when editing images in “Beauty”.
How to define the category (its implicit techniques and time allocation) to be applied to an image? The following questions can help you gauge what category your image falls under and how much time it usually takes to retouch an image.
- Who is the customer and what is the image used for? (For example, a well-known brand or a private client. It will appear in magazines, on posters or exclusively online, etc.)
- How many images will be edited and transferred? (One image within a week or a dozen images in a day.)
If you can answer both of these questions before you start editing, it will give you an outline of what is required (print vs. web) and how much time you can spend on each image. image.
As mentioned above, each editing “category” will still have its own set of reference points that we need to follow in order to achieve the desired end result.
In Portrait Retouching, it is required that you try and keep all the personal qualities and physical features of the person intact. The image will appear as if it were unedited.
Scenes and Model Tests are often considered in this category. Because they require depicting the subject as naturally as possible so that they are given potential work based on their actual appearance.
Accordingly, when editing portraits you need:
– We should try to leave all the permanent features like: scars, freckles and moles. Depending on the image, you may even want to emphasize or reduce the intensity of these features. However, non-permanent features such as: pimples, skin redness, bruises are usually cleared, minimized or completely eliminated.
– The skin is usually left intact, apart from the removal of the non-permanent details mentioned above. In portraits of women, skin texture is often smoothed out to make it look better, but not polished to perfection.
– If you choose or are required to improve skin texture, add contrast, correct color and sharpen the image, this is to keep the image refined. As a result, there is no loss of the original image or description of the subject.
As far as editing is concerned, you need to make sure to keep the images as natural as possible and only remove distracting elements. This form of editing will often be needed to advertise a product, brand, or service as images are often used for lookbooks / editorials / magazine or print ads.
- Permanent features such as scars and moles should be removed, along with reducing the intensity of wrinkles and correcting any skin discoloration in the image. Leather should be clean, but not overly polished.
- An editorial is usually a story, a series of pictures on the topic. All selected contrast, color correction, and image type adjustments should be consistent and consistent across all images in the series.
Similar to Editorial Editing, Commercial Editing are often used to advertise and sell a product or service, they will cover a wider audience such as: cars, clothing, products, jewelry , food, airline, cosmetics, etc.
These are images for selling products, in other words “closing deals”, so viewers need to be able to relate to the audience on a personal level or feel the need to own the product or service. service in the image.
- In this category we should continue to remove all distracting elements. Depending on the image, it can take a number of hours to complete and typically takes longer than the previous two.
- We often have to change parts of the image to “beautify” the surroundings and create a pleasant atmosphere in the photo.
- While each image will have its own considerations for this factor, the client will also have their own requirements for what the final image should look like.
- The important thing to remember here is that the image collection should have a degree of visual consistency above all else.
Photo & Post-production by Philipp Rupprecht. Lamborghini Aventador photographed for Mansory Carbonado magazine.
Beauty Photography has several sub-categories from Simple Beauty Portraits for personal clients (requires a little more editing than regular Portraits), Hairstyling, Celebrity Photography, Making fashion beauty – these require more skin retouching than all previous categories.
Makeup photo shoot is that the skin is the center of attention and often makes up 90% of the photo, so it’s the most time-consuming type of retouching, requiring a high level of skill and experience.
- You should take care to remove all permanent and temporary “imperfections” in the image.
- Skin must be perfectly cleansed and even-toned. Key retouching techniques like Dodge & Burn are often used to achieve a polished look.
- Hair in photography Hairstyling is another difficult element to edit. Requires a wide range of skills and experience.
- Depending on what is required for the image, beauty retouching can easily take anywhere from 3 to tens of hours to complete.
Unlike other forms of editing, Creative Editing is viewed as a work of art or a specific creative vision rather than a “truth” depiction of a subject.
Combining multiple images or elements falls under this category as they can create different realities or fantasy realms that cannot be achieved from a single image.
Therefore, this work will be the most time-consuming and demanding in terms of ensuring that the image as it is “built” and completed retains its own integrity as an image.
Depending on the category, we will have different retouching principles. Therefore, before embarking on editing work, ask you to pay attention to which category you are editing photos in, so that you can get the most reasonable adjustments.
Hopefully, the information about retouching that we share above will be really useful for those who are interested in this issue. Stay tuned for our next articles to get more useful information about photo editing!
The most powerful Retouch tool processor
✅ SADESIGN PANEL ENGLISH: https://sadesignretouching.com/retouching/
✅ SADESIGN PANEL VIET NAM: https://www.retouching.vn/